Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Adam - Final Presentation

My final topic is using social media platform to discuss an issue of whether or not college athletes should be paid for the sports that they play. I have created a slogan, "We Play, You Pay". This slogan/hashtag means that the athletes are playing the game you are watching on TV or watching in person, so there for they are playing and you are paying to watch them play. When you watch the team on TV you are supporting the team by making them money through watching it. Also if you are at the game you are paying for your ticket to be there. None of this money of which the players are bringing into the school do they actually see. With my topic for this activist media project is making a point that part of this money should go to the players.

The vision of my final topic in creating this hashtag #WEPLAYOUPAY or slogan, was to argue that college athletes to deserves to be paid a little sum of money. I think they should because a college athletes schedule there is little time for them to have jobs to earn a sum of money for things that they may need. Some may argue that being on a scholarship is enough, but in my opinion is not. I would like to see a regular student to have one semester or quarter of college athletes schedule and see how much extra time they have to have a job to earn a little extra money. They will find out quickly that it is almost impossible with practice, traveling and keeping up with your school work to have a job.

For the visuals since I have made a hashtag, I was going to post a quick blurb of what I’m arguing to professional athletes Facebook pages or their twitters in hopes they will retweet it or comment on the case. I thought this would be a good idea because since professional athletes have so many followers, if other see that they are taking a stance with this issue, hopefully their followers who see it will listen to them. I as well have created a shirt with the slogan, “We Play, You Pay” on the front of it with Boone underneath. With this shirt I’m going to go around to teams here at DU taking pictures of them wearing the shirt saying how they agree with my stance of why college athletes should be paid.

1 comment:

  1. Adam,

    I really like your topic! I can definitely relate to what you are asserting, being a college athlete. There are a lot of sacrifices that go along with being an athlete. I think the idea of a t-shirt is a really good idea. It is a very simple slogan that gets the message across, and can easily be spread across social media. I'm excited to see the final product!

    Aleana

    ReplyDelete