Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Kaylie - Final Presentation

Summary:

On a daily basis, we assume people’s preferred gender pronouns (PGPs), which in most casual conversations may not seem like a big deal. However, to transgender, genderqueer, and other non-binary individuals, it is. Gender non-conforming and trans* people face disrespect that stems from ignorance on a daily basis.  In fact, many people feel uncomfortable or even unsafe disclosing their true PGPs outside of designated safe spaces.  If people knew more about gender, even the basics like PGPs, trans* people would experience less prejudice and less violence.

Thesis:

Something that is almost never addressed in everyday human interactions, gender pronouns are generally assumed and can be a bizarre or uncomfortable topic for some to discuss.  The more routine we portray PGP disclosure to be, the more safe cis-dominated spaces will become. To ask someone’s PGPs when meeting them isn’t asking people for very much; in fact it is a small, easy act of consideration that on the individual level protects a person’s identity and on a larger scale affirms the validity of trans* people to live freely and safely in society.

Vision:

My vision for my final project is to make a meme that will be simple, yet effective. Its goal will be to make people see the need for change and understand that using PGPs is a necessary act of courtesy.  When researching memes for my project to understand what already exists in internet communities, I saw many offensive, hateful memes directed toward transgender people.  Many suggested that being transgender is a phase or is trendy.  However, I also saw a lot of positive memes that were in support of transgender people or made by trans people to illustrate their experiences. If the audience takes a couple seconds to empathize and think about how difficult it may be for transgender people, and the simple thing they can change to help ease that difficulty, then my meme will have succeeded.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of your topic, I think pronouns are something we so often don't think about enough. I know that using a persons preferred pronoun can make all the difference. In a class I took we talked about a really easy way to learn pronouns is to ask everyone what they prefer to be called, especially in a group of people. I think that could be something you could incorporate into your meme if you wanted to, but I think this idea is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know for sure that I personally do not think about PGP's like the way you are explaining as I am not trans or otherwise. I think personally that this isn't that big of a deal but at the same point by using myself as an example most people do not even think about this which can be somewhat offensive to those that are experiencing it. It may not be that big of a topic but it is still important and a well thought of meme should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really interesting topic, and one that isn't really discussed outside LGBTQ communities or "safe" spaces. As someone who is cis-gendered i think it can be easy to forget your privilege in this category of intersectionality. It'd be really awesome to see your finished meme project. I saw this picture on facebook a couple of days ago and it kind of reminds me of your project.
    it states " You know something i found interesting? IS how when people meet dogs, they'll say something like "He's so cute!" And the owner will shyly respond with "she's a girl, actually" And the person will apologize and IMMEDIATELY start using the right pronouns. So my question is, if its so east to do with dogs why is it so fu*king difficult to do with trans people?" (or in this case anyone who is not cisgender)
    - Nadine

    ReplyDelete