Tuesday, November 17, 2015

MG - Final Presentation

Summary:
For my final project I chose to take a closer of look at the sexualization of female children focusing on dolls marketed to toddlers and pre-pubescent girls. The dolls currently on the market are not reflective of what an actual female child looks like and are also hyper-sexualized. From the manner of the dolls dress, features, and even their ‘biography’ there is a sexual element that is not beneficial for young girls to be inundated with. These dolls promote unhealthy body images and seem to promote the vapid female stereotype as well.
Thesis:
I argue that these dolls are detrimental to the development of young girls since they instill unrealistic standards. Additionally these dolls normalize the sexualization of children, which is obviously abhorrent. There needs to be awareness on the effects the dolls can have on young children.
Vision:
I chose to make a physical media artifact for my project. I used a Bratz Doll, one of the most popular dolls in the United States and then placed her in a diorama that was based off the prostitutes in the windows in Amsterdam’s red light district. I created a price list for various sex acts and juxtaposed it against some of the more juvenile elements of the doll’s packaging. I also altered the dolls ‘biography’ to be somewhat more sexual as well; however, somewhat disgustingly I only had to change/add about six to eight aspects of it to accomplish this.

5 comments:

  1. I think this topic is so interesting, I did some research on this throughout the process of doing my final project as well and the differing opinions on this topic are shocking. I think that the toys that children play with make a big impact on them, especially in terms of gendering them, I think it would be really interesting to do this with a male doll as well and go the opposite route in terms of presentation. Overall I love your final, I think it does a great job illustrating what you are trying to get across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved you project! It was so creative and it looked like a lot of work. I honestly cannot believe that childrens toys are based off of such awful things. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MG - this is awesome! I read an article about this and how now we are seeing young girls feeling like they need to objectify themselves in order to fit in. I think your project did an awesome job of showing that

    ReplyDelete
  4. This project is absolutely awesome! It is not acknowledged enough, even with the increased front pushing for neutrality in children's toys, that toys marketed to young girls enforce gender roles, stereotypes, and as shown in your project-objectification and sexualization. The juxtaposition of the innocence implied with children's toy and the demoralizing act of prostitution really captures the essence in what your topic wants to get across, and further calls to action the termination of forcing these ideals on young women. This project is very applicable to various concepts learned in class, and does well to form them into a unified front against the overt sexualization of female children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you made a physical artifact. This is a really important issue and I feel that many products targeted towards young women are hyper-sexualized and inappropriate for the young girls. It's definitely think that this is necessary for people to see. I think its interesting to think about the idea that most parents don't see and don't really look too much into what they are buying their young kids. Sure they see a slutty dressed doll but to them its "just a doll". I think if parents actually looked more into these products and how these products are being advertised to young girls then they might think twice about buying them. GREAT PROJECT!!!

    ReplyDelete