Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Ryoma - Final Presentation

For my final topic I decided to stick with hashtags and the impact they have in social media and influencing users of social media. Hashtags are a perfect way of uniting groups of people who have similar interests and during times of crisis. They also help bring to light social justice issues and is one of the greatest tools for marketing in the age of mass media, especially on Twitter and Instagram. Overall, hashtags help users find their target audience, improve click through rates, are great for research since they also become links to search queries, and even if they aren’t used for social justice or marketing there are always funny hashtags such as #WhyImSingle, #GiveLeoAnOscar, and etc.!
For my thesis, I am making the argument that hashtags are incredibly valuable during times of crisis and helping bring awareness to social justice issues, for example, #BlackLivesMatter and #IceBucketChallenge.
For my final project, my vision is to find 9 hashtags that I think changed the world in one way or another. Along with these hashtags will include pictures to demonstrate what the hashtag is referring to. Over the years of me using social media like Twitter and Instagram, I have come across hundreds of hashtags that were widely used during certain events or over stretches of time.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is a very interesting topic for your final project. Hashtags are definitely a way in which social media can expedite the process of information dissemination. Although I have used twitter a lot in the past, I haven't heard of #DudesGreetingDudes. I think that showing the pictures with their hashtag was a really great idea. I was wondering why two of the hashtags were red and the rest were yellow. I think that making them all the same color would improve the project's aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a very strong topic, and it is a very constructive thought process that has a very strong message..your "argument that hashtags are incredibly valuable during times of crisis and helping bring awareness to social justice issues." is very accurate in all current news, and crisis situations. - good job!

    ReplyDelete