Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Brooklyn - Final Presentation

Summary 
The purpose of my project is to demonstrate how the media critiques the bodies of female athletes first, rather than acknowledging the historical accolades they often acquire. Most of the time this happens when a female athlete has a strong figure, is muscular and may seem dominant. The media often creates this woman to be man-like and hyper masculine, unrecognizing the stigma they are creating between genders. Furthermore, women who do have this figure are often times critiqued more harshly based on the color of their skin. 
Introduce pictures of Serena Williams and Ronda Rousey
Argument 
I am arguing that being a strong woman does not mean a woman is masculine, it means she is strong. The media and society should recognize the ability of the individual rather than their figure. Through my project I also hope to reveal the double standard that occurs between men and women athletes and create a movement that acknowledges  #EveryStrengthIsSexy. 
Vision
The vision of my project is to create a twitter account and uses the hashtag #EveryStrengthIsSexy. I will have picture of female athletes and over the picture will read a phrase that has been used to degrade the woman with a line through it (For example: a picture of Serena Williams would say “She’s Built like a Man.”) The same picture will be used and the hashtag will be placed in the same spot. I plan to use athletes of all body types that have been body shamed to show that every body or strength is powerful and beautiful. 
Media used 
I was going to show this video of Ronda Rousey explaining her take on body shaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6EgVD9-ypc
I was also going to read this quotes during the presentation 
Serena Williams 
“She’s built like a man” –Twitter 
“Her rivals could try to emulate her physic, but understand, most choose not to” –New York Times 
Ronda Rousey 

“Lady Hulk”- YouTube commenter 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brooklyn,

    Your project sounds like it is going to be very interesting. I've noticed a lot of conversation about female athletes’ bodies in the media, so I think it's great that you're addressing the topic. I think a twitter hashtag is a great way to express an argument since it allows for an idea to potentially reach many people and for others add their own thoughts and experiences on the issue. I like that you chose #EveryStrengthIsSexy as your hashtag since it concisely expresses your argument. I think the images of the various athletes with the negative crossed out and the hashtag next to it will help advance your argument by providing a visual. It seems like your project will turn out great!

    ReplyDelete