Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Jessica - Final Presentation

1) My topic focuses on the concept of fitspiration, or “fitspo” and the damaging effects of it on women’s self-esteem
2) My thesis is that fitspo images are entirely fake and set unrealistic expectations in the minds of women
3) I envision my final project to be a Tubmlr blog full of fitspo images and commentary that breaks down the images into what they really are- fake and unrealistic. 
4) The blog so far: http://fitsposucks.tumblr.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica, I really like the idea of your final project, you did a great job creating the Tumblr! I agree that "fitspiration" definitely has aspects that are damaging to women's self-esteem but also wouldn't you agree that it can also help some women to motivate themselves to get up and go workout to get fit or make themselves feel better. I also can see this from a man's perspective and how "fitspiration" can also have the same damaging effect on men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I think your project is really cool. I made a Tumblr for my project as well and I think it is a great way to show how the media portrays women and how fitsbo puts unrealistic expectations on women. I can really see looking at the Tumblr whole "fitsbo" concept and how it could be incredibly taxing and hurt the self esteems of many ordinary women. Good job!!

    Aleana

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a female I find this extremely interesting and relevant. It is incredible to analyze the ways in which the media depicts women as it is incredibly unrealistic, and sets unrealistic expectations for children, youths, adults, men and women. Especially as an athlete. we are grown to think that we need to look a certain way when in reality many athletes do no fit this stereotype, yet are incredibly skilled in what they do. This sounds like an awesome project.

    - Nadine

    ReplyDelete