Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Jordyn - Final Presentation

Summary
For my final project I chose to tackle the idea of online dating specifically the idea of
Catfishing. Catfishing is defined as fabricating ones identity online in order to trick
others into online relationships of any nature. As the Internet continues to grow so
too does Catfishing. Fabrication is seen online often but there is a clear distinction
between deceit and impersonation. Often individuals are able to alter their photos,
or profiles to make themselves appear more appealing than they are in real life, this
is the deception I am referring to. However my project specifically deals with
Catfishing, or impersonation. The direct use of another individuals photos all
together to alter ones appearance, gender, age etc. in a drastic way.
Thesis
I argue that Catfishing and deception online is wrong. One should be represented in
a similar way as they would be on a first date. The act of impersonation is wrong in
and of itself but the intentions that often lie behind such impersonation is even
worse. This photo was created to bring awareness to the deception online so that
participants can become more aware and thus more cautious online.
My Vision
In order to represent this type of offender I utilized a new tool to me, Photoshop.
Through Photoshop I created an image that depicted a young girl (typical of one
whose photo may be used to impersonate another) and an older man morphed into
one face. This was to show the sheer fabrication that often goes on online. My idea
behind the creation of this image is that it could be used as an advertisement that
could create awareness surrounding this topic. The text was used to give the
observer a better understanding of the message being portrayed

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of using Photoshop to create an image to really show how difference it can be, my only comment or question really is in cat-fishing it is usually the "non-attractive" that catfish the attractive not so much a guy playing a girl or whatever. I'm not saying it couldn't be a man playing as if he was a girl but in cat-fishing I think it would be more effective to do a girl vs girl cat-fishing or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting and relevant topic in today's society. I think a lot of older generations, often even our parents, don't know the term "catfishing" and would have no idea what it really meant. I think this is a great way to target a younger audience and get them aware of the fact that the person they are talking to online may not be who they think they are talking to. GREAT PROJECT and really relevant in pop culture today! Especially with that popular tv show in MTV.

    ReplyDelete