Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Nadine - Final Presentation

1). My final topic is a Tumblr post that comes from a Queer theory perspective that is called "If Straight People Were Asked/Told the Same Things Lesbians Are." I wanted to do this topic specifically because I am very interested in established norms of gender roles, and the confusion this creates for non heterosexual relationships. I chose to do this topic because of my sexual identity of being a lesbian. I wanted to bring a prevalent issue to the table, as well as a personal one. I thought that through looking at it at a Queer Theory perspective, similar to the "blurred lines" video, we can see how ridiculous some of these questions can seem when taken out of context.
2. My artist statement thesis is: "In my activist piece, I argue that there is such misunderstanding of LGBTQ relationships because our society is restricted by gender binaries which are perpetuated by the mainstream media. When we queer these binaries, and look at it from the opposite perspective, it becomes clear how ridiculous these presumptions are."
3. My vision for my final project is a Tumblr post filled with gifs in response to these statements, similar to the ten things list that Buzzfeed commonly creates. 
Attached is the almost finished piece : (  https://www.tumblr.com/blog/gratefuldread6 )

3 comments:

  1. Nadine- This is a great topic and certainly applicable to what we have learned in class. I love the idea of switching the subject of the questions- it really exposes how ridiculous and hurtful these questions/statements are. I remember there was a similar idea with proposing to ask male politicians what female politicians were asked with the same result: there is a lack of equality among us that is absolutely unacceptable. Great vision and great choice of GIFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nadine, I think you tackle a really interesting and difficult topic in a funny way. You do an excellent job of showing the absurdity of the questions that many homosexual individuals face and that are never really asked of straight individuals by reversing the roles.

    ReplyDelete